August 8

Wolves

Mexican Grey Wolf in the Snow

John W. Iwanski via Compfight

WOLVES

Wolves are carnivorous, nocturnal mammals. They mostly eat moose, elk and deer, but sometimes they eat smaller animals like rodents, kind like when we have snacks.

Wolves live in groups called packs. These packs are usually made up of  an Alpha  male and female and their cubs. There are usually 6-7 wolves in a pack but sometimes there can be up to 15.

There are 8 different species of wolves. Here are 3 of them:

GREY WOLF Wolf im Schnee

Marco Verch via Compfight

The biggest wolf with grey-brown

fur.   Classification status:   THREATENED

RED WOLFout of the darkness

Valerie via Compfight

Tawny-red coloured fur. Classification status:

CRITICALLY ENDANGERED

ARCTIC WOLFArctic wolf

Cloudtail the Snow Leopard via Compfight

White fur to blend in with the snow. Classification status:

LEAST CONCERN

The other wolf species are the Ethiopian wolf, Tundra wolf, Indian wolf, the Mexican wolf and the Iberian wolf.

DID YOU KNOW:

Alpha as well as the leader of the wolf pack, is the first letter in the Greek alphabet!

Hanna

Posted August 8, 2017 by Hanna-jane in category General

19 thoughts on “Wolves

1. Jack

Hi Hanna,
    I also love wolves and I think this info is really interesting. I hope other people think so too! 🙂

1. Hanna-jane (Post author)

Hi Jack and Zach,
        Wolves are my favourite animal. Sometimes I wish I grew up with them like in books. If you want any good books the Irina trilogy is good, I think the school library has it. Stay posted for more wolf info. By the way what is your favourite wolf species?

1. Hanna-jane (Post author)

Hi Flynn,
      Firstly I know a lot about Wolves but I got some of it off the internet and my encyclopaedia.

2. Jae

Hi Hanna,
    I like how you organized all the info and personally my favourite type of wolf is the arctic wolf.

3. Helen

Hi Hanna,
    I love your post! It’s so sad the red wolf is endangered. My favourite wolf is the grey wolf because theyr’e so fluffy!

1. Hanna-jane (Post author)

Hi Helen,
      My favourite is the Grey Wolf to. For lots of reasons. And Helen are there any other reasons why you like the Grey Wolf?

1. Helen

Hi Hanna,
        I also like the grey wolf because of the colour of their fur and their size. The tundra wolf sounds really interesting! Is there any chance you could post some more information on them?

4. Ava

Hi Hanna
    Wow you must be really interested in wolfs to know that much. What type of wolf is your favourite? I would love it if you did another post! Thanks Ava

1. Hanna-jane (Post author)

Hi Ava,
      I am very interested in wolves since they are my favourite animal! The Grey Wolf is my favourite but I also like the others. What’s your favourite wolf species?

5. Yanna

Hi Hanna,
    I don’t know much about wolves myself but you have taught me some good info! My favorite wolf is the arctic wolf.

6. Kieran

Hi Hanna,
    That was a really great post.
    I like wolves too.
    Wow I had no idea that the first letter of the Greek alphabet was alpha!
    Would you be able to me the names of the other 5 wolves?
    Kieran