Our Friday, our class was very lucky to be invited to have a look at the Labyrinth at Dark Park as part of Hobart’s Dark Mofo. We walked down from school, saw the amazing portrait being painted on the side of the maze (we couldn’t believe that the artist had done this in less than a day – WOW!)
and we then explored the Labyrinth Maze in groups.
We had to find the letters M, A, Z, E
and then find our way to the vault where the artist Mayonaize has been working on special artworks using his unique style of lettering. A very BIG Thank you to Cam Crawford for organising this for us. We all thoroughly enjoyed it.
We all reflected on the excursion and wrote some thoughts:-
- We went to Dark Park through the Labyrinth and we enjoyed it because it was very different from most of the excursions we have had. What made it different was that when we were in the Labyrinth we had to find lots of things and not just look (Penny, Rafi and Ruhani).
- We liked the vault because the smole made you scarcely be able to see. We also liked the mirrors in the tower. We even liked the surveillance cameras in the vault and how they produced views of the vaults in the letter rooms (Vincent).
- In the vault, smoke rushed against my skin. It felt like a puff of air (James).
- The vault was exciting and interesting because it was imaginative and there was great artwork (Amelia).
- We liked the maze because of the street art and how you had to find the letters to spell the word MAZE (Jude and Nick).
- In the maze we saw awesome artwork and there were smoke machines which were really cool (Oliver and Alex).
- My favourite thing at Dark Park was the fog machine in the vault because they made it feel dark and frightening, even though it was light outside (Monique).
- The smoke machines in the vault added a really good effect because it made people look like mere shadows (Liam).
- The gloomy grey wall was suddenly exciting when we got to Dark park to see the deceiving and dark labyrinth (Rosie).
- The Labyrinth was an enjoyable experience. i really liked the layers that the artist painted and I also enjoyed finding the letters that spelt the word, MAZE. The artist’s name is Mayonaize and earlier in the week, he wrote my nickname on the wall. My nickname is Corgi. Today when we went I couldn’t see my name because it was all covered up (Claudia).
- We liked the tower because the tower was creepy. It had a mirror on the top and on the bottom which made it look creepy (Abeeha and Felicity).
- I enjoyed the mirror tower because it was not what I expected. it looked like you could fall through (Diva).
- I believe it was pretty cool when we emerged from the maze because it was so bright and open (Esther).